What to look for in a Law Firm
For someone about to start a new business, it’s important to find a law firm which would help deal with all sorts of legal issues. This is why it’s important to find the right law firm on the Gold Coast.
What you should look for in a law firm
The first thing you should consider when looking for a law firm is to see if they have the necessary experience in dealing with your kind of business. What you need to find is someone who could help explain all the legal jargon in a simple manner. Something which you could understand and work upon. For a new start up, smaller firms are always a better option. They would give more value to their new clients and they charge a little less than more experienced firms.
Also get to know if the firm is qualified. This means that all lawyers working in the firm should hold a practicing certificate.
The firm you decide to go for should have the necessary know how about your particular kind of business. This would enable them to provide you with the best possible advice.
Where should you start looking?
It is important when you are looking for a law firm on the Gold Coast to get a reference from the law society. It is a good place to start because they would provide you with a list of firms which are licensed. Another way to find the right law firm is to ask people in the same business as yours about the lawyers they have hired in the past. This would help you find the right people because you get first hand feedback from people who have actually hired their services.
Other people who could help you are your local bank managers or people working at the chamber of commerce. Also get to know how they charge for their services, whether you would be able to afford them or not.
Have a talk with a few solicitors
When you decide upon a particular firm you would be working with one or two solicitors only. The right way is to have a talk with few of their solicitors before settling upon any one of them. You need to make sure that you and the solicitor
- Are on the same level and understand each other
- Do you understand what they are talking about
- Does the way they speak appeal to you. It’s best to keep in mind that as a business you would be referring to your solicitor every now and then.
- Also get a quote from each of the solicitors you talk to. Their charges and fees would vary according to their experience. While some charge an hourly rate there are few who charge fees on a quarterly or monthly basis.
- Also get to know whether they have helped any clients who were in a business similar to yours?